Monday, May 7, 2012

Rose-colored glasses



For those of you who know me well, you know that since childhood I've often been accused of being a fairy-dust-rainbows-and-unicorns brand of dreamer/thinker.

Oh Lisa Frank, you just get GET me

I thrive on whimsy, adventure, and pie-in-the-sky ideas. And some dodgy folks have always made it their goal to bring me back to earth with a harsh dose of "reality," as they say.

But today, I am here to say "bugger-off" to the trolls of negativity.

Yes, the world can be a hard place. There is sadness and tragedy and pain. I know, because in my line of work, I am neck-deep in it every day. But what could possibly be wrong with seeking out the beauty, the whimsical, the dreamy, the little nuggets of magic, in even the most mundane moments of everyday life? Because it's often the small things, the little "blips of joy" as my mom likes to call them, that transform ordinary days into glorious days.

I don't believe in "ordinary" days. I believe in joy. I believe in making every day the happiest day of your life. I believe in spontaneity,  adventure, whimsy, and laughter. I believe in night-swims, fireflies, floating down rivers, dancing under moonlight, plucking wildflowers, running in the rain, throwing yourself into the ocean fully-clothed (or fully-nude, if the setting is right), exploring in bare-feet, lighting candles, dancing like a fool, celebrating every occasion, and just generally soaking up God's glory to the fullest during my short time on this earth.

John 10:10
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

I named this blog after a quote from poet Mary Oliver: "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”

We only get ONE life friends. It's a gift from God. Every moment has purpose and a meaning. The fact that you just breathed one more breath means that there's still a reason for you to be here. You are not an accident. Where you live, what you do, the people you encounter, the trials you've suffered - none of it was by chance. Your life doesn't start tomorrow, or when you finish school, or start that perfect job, or meet that perfect person. Your life is happening RIGHT NOW. Isn't that extraordinary?

So tell me, what is it that you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?

No comments:

Post a Comment